Tuesday, October 11, 2011

HOME MADE POT PIES IN 5 STEPS! YUMMY FALL FEAST!


Last night I made an amazing fall inspired dinner that anyone could do!

It was homemade chicken potpie!

It had amazing veggies, big chunks of chicken and yummy flavors!

I cut up all my veggies and put them in different bowls, then when I went to make it I felt like I was in my own cooking show and it made it so much easier to cook.

I also cooked almost everything in the pot so all the flavors were in one pot and they all came together perfectly!

If you are having people over this is a perfect fall dinner.

You can make people their own, by putting them in there own ramekins!

Now the only think I did not make from scratch was the crust, it would have been way better with my own but if you don’t have time just buy a store bought pie crust or even store bought biscuits to make it light and flaky.

FRESH VEGGIES
Here is the recipe

WHAT YOU NEED:

1 tbsp olive oil
8 oz white button mushrooms, sliced (I bought ones that support breast cancer)
1 diced onion
2 cups sliced carrots
1 cup sliced celery
4 cups cold chicken broth, divided (I put a mine in different cups & put them in
fridge as the first thing I did so it would get cold)
6 tbsps butter
½ cup all-purpose flour
2 lbs skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into cubes (I used a little bit more then
2lbs so every bite had chicken)
1 cup frozen green peas
1 tsp chopped fresh thyme leaves or a pinch of dried (I used a few dashes of dried)
1 tsp salt
¼ tsp black pepper (I did not measure this I put some and tasted it, same for salt)
1 ½ pounds pie dough (I only covered the tops of mine and needed 3 store crust)
6 large ramekins (15 oz) I used 3 large and 1 larger ramekins (depends on who your
 feeding)
1 egg beaten

HOW TO PUT IT TOGEATHER:

Pre-heat oven to 400

Step 1:

In a pot, sauté the mushrooms and onions in the olive oil over medium heat until golden. Add the carrots, celery, and 2 cups cold chicken broth. Bring to a boil, reduce to low and simmer until the vegetables are almost tender.

Step 2:

Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Wisk in the flour and cook, stirring, for 4 minutes, or until the flour is light tan color and smells like cooked piecrust. Slowly whisk in 2 cups of cold chicken broth. Simmer over medium low heat until the mixture thickens. Remove from heat, and reserve.

Step 3:
Put the thick mixture into your pot of veggies and broth once they are ready, and stir to combine. Add the chicken, peas, thyme, salt and pepper. Bring back to a simmer and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Taste for seasoning and set aside until needed.
SIZES OF RAMEKINS

Step 4:

Divide the pot pie filling between the 6 ramekins. (Leave ½ in from top) Cut out circles of pie dough 1 inch larger then the width of the ramekin. Place the dough over potpies. Go around each piece of dough, folding a ½ inch over to form a rim. If desired, pinch with your fingertips to form a crimped edge. Cut a small “X” in the center of each crust.

Step 5:

THIS IS WHAT MINE LOOKED LIKE
Place the ramekins on the sheet pan. Brush the tops with the beaten egg. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until pies are golden brown and bubble. Cool for 15 minutes before serving.

ENJOY!!!

LET ME KNOW HOW IT WORKS FOR YOU!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment